One of our family traditions is that when we take our tree down we put it in the yad and decorated it for the birds. In the past that has consisted mostly of suet and those peanut butter and bird seed covered pine cones with a few hanging fruit slices and maybe a popcorn and dried fruit garland.
This year we decided to branch out a little.
I have tried in the past to make bird food ornaments for the tree but they always fell apart. I hit Pinterest and found out what I was missing…gelatin.
I used the instructions A Day in First Grade for Bird Feeeder Ornaments.
This calls for:
-a packet of gelatin
– waxed paper on a cookie sheet
I ran into trouble right away because I only had lime jello…and no waxed paper.
Since it was freezing and snowing out, I went with it.
I boiled my water and added 1/4C to the packet of Jello, then poured in the 3/4 C of bird seed. It looked soupy to me so I added 1/4 C more.
It still looked a little soupy but I thought “what the hell” and continued.
At this point you are supposed to put your cookie cutters on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet and fill them in with the gelatin coated bird seed. When I did this a strange thing happened.
There was a little seepage…
OK…a lot of seepage.
At this point I put it in the fridge and hoped for the best.
After about 1/2 an hour I pulled them out and checked to see if they were setting at all.
When I picked them them up, this is what I saw.
And one of the cutters came off, leaving the formed ornament behind.
Which I was then able to pick up with a spatula…
and stick a pipe cleaner in it to hang it up.
However, when I tried to do the same with one of the other ornaments we had a little collateral damage…
In the end I just stuck them as is on a clean piece of tin foil and put them on the porch.
Since it’s currently -2 F and dropping I’m betting that they were frozen before I finished this post, but I’m too cold to go check.