I have been doing my Christmas baking this week and was looking for another cookie to fill in the spaces in some tins I was putting together.
These little lovelies looked perfect!
Aren’t they adorable? I even had all the ingredients!
I think my first mistake was not using a food processor. I wasn’t sure if a “knife blade” was the same as the regular blade so I decided to do it by hand. I measured and mixed flour and sugar. I cubed up the butter and started combining. After a ridiculous amount of time it finally formed a ball. A crumbly ball, but a ball none the less!
My next mistake was not taking the hint when it was nearly impossible to “flatten the dough” at all, never mind into a 8″ x 5″ rectangle. I persevered and managed to cut a sheet full of 1/2″-ish cubes and stuck them in the oven. They were inherently unstable though, and just bumping the cookie sheet on the way into the oven made them crumble a bit.
At this point I was feeling a bit frustrated so I decided to wrap up the rest of the dough and put it in the fridge to see if that helped it hold together better.
20 minutes late I removed the cookies from the oven…
They tasted good though so I thought “maybe the rest of the dough in the fridge set up!” and I went and got it and unwrapped it.
At this point I gave up.
Waste of butter 😦